Monday, November 22, 2010

Oil Rinse



I was surfing the net and my usual blog spots in between finishing assignments for school, and I am across a recent post by MopTop Maven that caught my attention. The article caught my attention with the title "Call all Type 4 Curlies? Eliminate Matting and Tangles with Oil Rinsing." I could only wish that the claim was true, so I checked out the article and the new concept, new to me at least, of oil rinsing. The original post can be found HERE.

My hair hearts oils. All kinds have worked great for me. I have tried castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. I want to try neem seed oil (Ayurvedic), and maybe even other types of oils. But on the the knitty gritty. What is oil rinsing?

Oil rinsing is a step of applying oil to wet hair, used in between shampoos/co-washes. It helps hair retain moisture, prevents tangles and matts, gives super soft hair, and leads to serious shine. I decided since I have plenty of oils in my bathroom there was nothing to lose from trying this method.

For my oil rinse, I used a 50:50 mix of olive oil and castor oil, the same mix I use when doing Oil Cleansing, which I need to do another of soon. This past weekend was a shampoo weekend, so I jumped at the opportunity to see how this worked out. After shampooing with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat, instead of buffering with conditioner, I rinsed the shampoo out completely to reveal freshly washed hair. I applied the olive-castor mix to my wet hair liberally. Mop Top instructs to leave on for 2 to 3 minutes, but I became lazy and waited much longer.

Then I rinsed with warm water, not cool water like when I rinse out conditioner. In fact, I didn't apply conditioner because I wanted to see how the effects of this would work without conditioner on top. My consensus: I LOVED THE RESULTS. My hair definitely felt much softer and does have a nice sheen to it, although not as shiny as if I had added it olive oil to dry hair.

I am thinking of using a coconut-castor mix next time. Oil rinsing is the business, and I plan on implementing this new step after every shampoo and before every co-wash. For a video instruction on how to do an oil rinse, check out Nappy Chronicles on YouTube at this LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment