Tuesday, July 20, 2010

When to Cut Hair to Encourage Growth: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

When I was younger, my mother once said if you wash your hair with the first May rain, it will grow. I never tried it, so I can't vouch for whether this is true. I once saw a bride on reality television who said she cuts her hair on the full moon to make it grow more (her hair was past her waist). All this had me thinking: Is there really such a thing as the best time to cut hair to encourage growth. I am not encouraging anyone to be super anal about when to cut their hair, but I am a little bit interested in astrology. Until recently, I didn't really know there were times to cut your hair to both encourage and retard growth. The Farmer's Almanac, which gives a lot of astrological advice for farmers concerning when to do things such as mow the lawn, regularly updates the days when you should cut your hair, depending on whether you want to encourage of retard growth.


 
The farmer's almanac can be purchased from the grocery store for a relatively cheap price. The website, however, also features the "Best Time To" dates, with guides on when to cut hair, mow your lawn, et cetera. Still skeptical? Think of it this way: The moon affects the ocean tides through the creation of stronger waves. Its effect on water is undeniable, and farmers have used lunar planning for gardening for centuries. Plants are not the ocean, but they are comprised of great percentages of water. The human body is also comprised of at least 60% of our body weight. 

Furthermore, women should also look into the effects the phases of the moon have on our menstrual cycle and fertility, which is something women have known for thousands of years. According to this theory, women are fertile two times out of the month/cycle, when she is actually ovulating and according to her lunar fertility phase. 

I myself don't know yet if I will take heed to the idea of a best time to cut my hair according to the moon phases, but for anyone who is interested, considering a trim or big chop soon, the Farmer's Almanac lists the following days in the next sixty days as the best days to cut your hair to encourage growth. 

Best Days to Encourage Growth

July 20th and 21st
August 16th, 17th, 21st, and 22nd
September 12th, 13th, 14th, and 17th

As you can see, today and tomorrow are listed as best days for cutting hair to encourage growth. Coincidence? I'll leave that up to you to decide, especially if you have been contemplating a big chop or trim. A more in depth article about cutting hair according to lunar phases can be found here at HairBoutique.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment